Individualized, Innovative

Religious Workers – R-1

An R visa, also known as a Religious Worker visa, is a temporary visa which allows an individual to enter the USA to work as a minister or in a religious vocation or occupation.

What is the process for applying for an R visa?

A R visa can only be approved after the sponsoring religious organization, or organization which is affiliated with the religious organization, files a nonimmigrant petition with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.  The R visa applicant may then apply for the R visa at the U.S. consulate abroad.  The religious organization will generally need to provide evidence of nonprofit status, that the religious worker will be coming to work at least twenty hours a week, and that the religious worker has been a member of a religious denomination having a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the U.S. for at least 2 years immediately before the filing of the petition.

An R visa can be issued or extended for up to five years.  Spouse and children may enter on R dependent visas.

Please do not hesitate to contact Wilson Law Group to evaluate an R visa option for you or your organization. Call our office in Minneapolis at 612-430-8022 or fill out our online form.