Individualized, Innovative

Australians In Specialty Occupations And E-3 Visas

Our immigration attorneys at Wilson Law Group in Minneapolis help Australians in specialty occupations who wish to work in the United States to obtain employment visas and, specifically, E-3 visas for themselves and their families.

What Is An E-3 Visa?

The E-3 visa classification applies to Australian nationals only who are coming to the United States to perform services in a specialty occupation. Similar to an H-1B visa, a specialty occupation requires theoretical and practical application of a body of knowledge in professional fields and at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States.

What Are The Qualifications For An E-3 Visa?

To qualify for an E-3 visa, the applicant must generally demonstrate that he or she:

  • Is a national of Australia
  • Has an offer of employment in the United States
  • Will fill a position that qualifies as a specialty occupation
  • Possesses the necessary academic or other qualifying credentials and is qualified for the position
  • Intends to depart the U.S. upon termination of E-3 status

There is an annual cap of 10,500 initial E-3 visas for each year. Dependents are not counted against the cap.

Can Spouses And Dependents Qualify?

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of E-2 holders similarly receive E-3 visas. They do not need to possess the same nationality as the principal E-3 visa recipient. A spouse is entitled to apply for work authorization with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Do You Have Questions About E-3 Visas? Schedule A Free Consultation.

The E-3 can be an extremely important temporary visa option for Australian nationals. If you have questions about the E-3 visa, our attorneys at Wilson Law Group can answer them. Call us at 612-430-8022 or send an email through our website to schedule a free initial consultation to evaluate your matter.